If Towns Could Talk...

 Book Review:


     Today I read "If Towns Could Talk... How British Towns Grew". This book was like a historical textbook, but not so long and interesting to read.


A town grew up the market. (p. 4)

I learned how the towns and cities began. According to this book, Some farmers grew a lot of food and came to markets to sell them and this is the origin of them. Moreover there were four important things to be more bigger town. They were food, fresh water, building materials and a supply of fuel. I learned that these things had to be nearby because it was difficult to transport.


So one of the main reasons why Bath grew was because it was a spa. (p. 17)

I didn't know about the city, but I felt I want to go there someday because I like a spa. In addition the city has a lot of beautiful buildings and the town is a World Heritage Site.


William the Conqueror built a castle there, and the castle mound can still be seen. (p. 24)

This phrase is about a Cambridge city. I have known about this city and the famous Cambridge university. However I didn't know about the history. I was surprised because Iron Age people, Romans, Saxons and Normans all lived in the city. 


     Through reading this book, I could learn many things about Britain. Someday I want to go there.


Thank you.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

GOODBYE MR HOLLYWOOD

Slam Dunk for Mark

'Who, Sir? Me, Sir?'