Seven Stories of Mystery and Horror

Book Review:

Seven Stories of Mystery and Horror(2005)

      Last week I read Seven Stories of Mystery and Horror. This book was written by Edgar Allan Poe and I love mystery stories, so I decided to read this. I’ll write about him and three impressive quotes which I chose.

      Firstly I’ll write about Edgar Allan Poe. I think everyone must have heard this name at least one or two. He was born in Boston on January 19th 1809. And he wrote poetry and stories of horror and mystery because he was interested in fear and death. Some of his tales are about characters who try to find murderers or thieves. These tales are some of the first detective stories that were written by an American. He was also one of the first American authors who wrote a science fiction story. If you find his story, please check it. I think you’ll feel interesting to his idea or expressions.

      Second is about this book. I’ll write three quotes. The first one is: Very slowly, the pendulum was getting closer to me.(p17) This book has seven stories and this phrase appears in the first story. This one made me so frightened because the pendulum had a knife. I think especially the words “Very slowly” are reality and made the phrase more scare. Second one is: She was dead, but she was not dead!(p46) This phrase appears in the fourth story. “She” means Madeline a woman and a little sister of Roderick Usher. “I” invited to his house and met him and Madeline. But the day she was dead because of sick. Usher didn’t want to apart from her. So decided to put her body in a room under the house and this phrase is the scene’s one. Of course she was dead but “I” felt as if alive her. After that many strange things happen. I think this phrase is one of the clues to think latter story and I think to put some clues made this story more interesting. If I write mystery, I want to imitate the skill. The last one is: “My watch was wrong! We are too late!”(p55) This phrase appears in fifth story. This is about disaster. Brothers went to Maelstorm a bid sea. At the sea everyone can catch many fishes, but when the time became seven o’clock, appears a big hole and happen a disaster. Through read these part, the phrase(“My watch...late!”) made me frightened. Soon after that dark clouds the sky and the wind started to blow. Actually at last they were safe, but had to experience frightening sailing. I thought to check important things before some acts is essential.

     I recommend this book everyone especially who likes horror stories. I could read this book with fun but less of mystery elements so I felt little sad. But his expressions and skills were so great and I think everyone can feel frighting feeling reality. I’ll try to read Poe’s other stories.


Pendulum=振り子

コメント

  1. I was interested in this book and this author because the author's informations are written in this blog. I want to read that book now more by reading your blog. When I read Poe's book, I'll check his writing skill, too! (Haruna Iribe)

    返信削除

コメントを投稿

このブログの人気の投稿

Slam Dunk for Mark

GOODBYE MR HOLLYWOOD

'Who, Sir? Me, Sir?'